Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Monster, by Walter Dean Myers

Monster, by Walter Dean Myers, was a good book that won a bunch of awards.  I can honestly say that I did not like this book, and I'm not quite sure why it received such honored acclaim.  The writing was awkward and difficult to follow, with its script-like style.  The idea of following along with courtroom procedures and how a trial unfolds is cool, but I felt like there was such a lack of evidence that there shouldn't have been a trial in the first place; then again, perhaps that is the angle the author was going for?  I did enjoy rooting for the main character, and they story was engaging and suspensful.  With the right readers, this is a rewarding story to read.  Otherwise, pass on it.

1 comment:

  1. I read Monster by Walter Dean Myers. It was about three guys, Bobo, Steve, and James, who robbed a convenience store. The owner of the store, Mr.Nesbitt was murdered in the robbery, and one of the three guys is going to be charged with felony murder. After a long time in court a verdict was found. Who killed Mr.Nesbitt? Find out in Monster!
    This books genre is realistic fiction. I enjoyed this book because it was written in a different way and it had a nice twist to the ending. I also liked this book because the big question was hanging there until the end of the book so you didn't want to put the book down. In addition, this book was also very descriptive and realistic.
    If I was to rate this book out of 5 stars I would give it a 3.5. The reason behind that is sometimes in court the book got very boring and it seemed to go on forever. Other than that the rest of the book was very good.

    By: Paul Antonietti

    ReplyDelete