Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, by Kate DiCamillo

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, by Kate DiCamillo, is one of my favorite books of all time.  This is one of those books which I have read a few times, and I LOVE reading it aloud with my family and my students.  In fact, I have read this book aloud on three separate occassions, in school and at home with my wife and oldest child. 

The star of the story is Edward Tulane, a China rabbit that has been lost by his owner - young Abeline.  The adventure starts on Egypt Street, in Abeline's care.  Edward is then lost at sea, where he sinks to the bottom of the ocean with eyes painted open.  Eventually, he ends up caught in a fishing net, traveling with a hobo on the railways, into the arms of a sick a fragile child, and the story continues.  Along the way, Edward learns of love and life. 

Over the course of the story, Edward learns a great deal.  If only he had loved Abeline more when he was in her arms or sitting at her dinner table, when they were lying awake at night and he watched the stars glow and the sun rise each day from where she tucked him into bed.  If only he could talk, walk, or even blink... 

Kate DiCamillo shows the world through the eyes of a China rabbit.  This heartwarming and rich story is one that I will highly recommend, again and again.

For more information about this book, visit the following: http://www.katedicamillo.com/books/edward.html

No comments:

Post a Comment